315 E. Charles St.
Muncie, Indiana 47305
FAX: (765) 747-1991
The Riley-Jones Club
Margaret and George Riley Jones built this stately Colonial Revival house in 1901-03 as a residence for their only daughter, Christine. The architect, English-born Alfred Grindle, from Fort Wayne , was known for his impressive buildings and was sought after for many commissions in Muncie.
The building displays many of the characteristics of the Colonial Revival style, including a symmetrical facade composed of five bays, a gabled roof with three dormers, a balconied entry porch with monumental Doric columns, and a classical cornice embellished with dentils and modillions. The home also includes such details as the half-round stained-glass window in the center of the facade, the white and blue mosaic tile floor of the front entry porch, and the handmade trim on the front door. In the interior of the home are found an elaborate oak staircase in the foyer, a stained glass window at the first floor landing of the stairway, and beautiful neo-classical wood trim.
George Riley Jones was born on October 3, 1858, in Muncie . At the age of 22, he became a clerk in J.P. Adamson's grocery and feed store in Muncie . By the age of 30, George had become a partner with Adamson, and he later opened his own grocery at Howard and Liberty Streets. He was credited with running a successful business at a time when more than sixty grocery stores were operating in the Muncie area. George was also a prominent real estate dealer and was said to have been one of Munci 's largest property holders.
After George, Margaret, and Christine had died (1925, 1931, and 1935, respectively), the home served as the offices for a naturopathic practitioner and a rooming house. It was later sold to George and Bessie Geisler, who occupied the building until 1980. The founders of the Riley-Jones Club formed a corporation to fund the purchase and extensive rehabilitation of the home in 1981-1982, and the home served as a social club for professional women. The Riley-Jones House was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1984 (Building #84001017).
Following the closure of the Riley-Jones Club, P. Gregory Cross purchased the house in 2003 and founded The Cross Law Firm . Mr. Cross has continued the ongoing rehabilitation of this stately Colonial Revival house.